When Tolstoy fell ill while traveling south by train, his daughter Aleksandra and doctor Makovitskii decided that they should cease their journey. They deboarded at Astapovo, a remote transfer station which offered little in the way of facilities. The station master Ivan Ozolin allowed the writer and his entourage to stay in his home, eventually moving out of it completely in order to better accommodate them.
Ivan Ozolin became a national hero for his generosity. He not only gave up his home, but rendered any assistance needed with great kindness.
There were no inns at Astapovo, so sleeper cars were brought in to accommodate the family and others attending Tolstoy’s bedside. The latter included doctors, secret agents sent by the government, priests commissioned by the church, and a small battalion of reporters, photographers, and cinematographers.
The telegraph operators at Astapovo. The number of transmissions was so high that additional machinery and operators were brought to the station. The collected telegrams from Astapovo were subsequently published by the Soviets in a 1928 edition commemorating the writer’s birth centennial. The intention behind the publication was to show how the Tsarist government had plotted behind the scenes at Astapovo to control any political or religious message that might be conveyed.
Ilya Tolstoy and his mother at Astapovo.
The room in Ozolin’s apartment where Tolstoy lived his last days. It was rearranged in order to mimic the space of Tolstoy’s own room, so that he might feel more comfortable. Pillows were brought from the family home to assure that he would be comfortable. The room has been preserved as it was at that time, and is open to the public as part of the museum at Astapovo station.
One of the most intriguing photographs from Astapovo. Aleksandra appears to be leaving or entering Ozolin’s home, speaking with her brother, mother, and her mother’s nurse. They are apparently laughing at something--a sharp contrast to the story that was told in the papers of a family in conflict and crisis. It bears remembering that the family, even as they gathered at the door barring Sofia Andreevna from seeing her husband, would have had cause to laugh--perhaps at the absurd scene around them, in which their every word was being captured for transmission by telegraph around the world.
盤點一下，War and Peace By Leo Tolstoy/Tolstoi
托爾斯泰同意的翻譯者：.Translators: Louise and Aylmer Maude
我有Norton版和Oxford World Classics 版：網路版
No, but imagine the old Countess Zubova, with false curls and her mouth full of false teeth, as if she were trying to cheat old age.... Ha, ha,ha! Mary!"
OXFORD版注解： zun in Russia means "teeth".
Some Blogs of Hanching Chung
- ► 2016 (853)
- Books That Changed the World改變歷史的書
- 武者小路 実篤：実篤の生涯；《維摩經》/『梵漢和対照・現代語訳 「維摩経」』
- Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
- 夏祖麗編著《她們的世界》《風簷展書讀》 《年輕》
- 七○年代的書和我（上） 王鼎鈞；「老蓋仙」夏元瑜
- The Uncommercial Traveller By Charles Dickens 《非商...
- The classical music is FOR everyone－Benjamin Zande...
- 《古老之美：承孝相的建築旅行》承孝相(Seung H-Sang)
- Sir Winston Churchill(1874－1965）：A HISTORY OF THE ...
- A New World Order for Oil ;The Prize : The Epic Qu...
- 黃進興 Philosophy, Philology, and Politics in Eightee...
- MBA教育新機會新挑 戰 : Rethinking the MBA: Business Educat...
- Robert Lepage 走進羅伯特·勒帕吉
- 拜倫書信選；唐璜Don Juan；雅典的少女；"Childe Harold"
- 鹿島茂《巴黎文學散步》；繆詠華《巴黎文學散步地圖》。約翰巴克斯特 作《浪漫的巴黎文學徒步之旅：世界上...
- 「鐵房子」內的 吶喊：《魯迅研究月刊》部分；「臺大農業推廣通訊雙月刊」
- Orwell, George. Nineteen Eighty-Four. 1949.
- 唐君毅《病裡乾坤》《愛情之福音》 (我與宗教徒)。
- Eating People is Wrong；CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA：《坐看雲起時...
- Winchester Bible
- 《愛的教育》Heart : a schoolboy's journal
- 書籍的秩序： L’Ordre des livres. Lecteurs, auteurs, bibl...
- Gone With the Wind《飄》《亂世佳人》 Scarlett O'Hara
- on Charlie Hebdo – facing down hatred with laughte...
- Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol 聖誕故事集、 ‘The My...
- 生命的軌跡 (歐陽子)；灰衣婦人 來訪之後的一些事(季季)/中國民法總則(洪遜欣)
- Reading Pictures: A History of Love and Hate by Al...
- Robert Darnton 著作；Laughter and Terror
- Anita Ekberg( 1931-2015) ；費里尼：《甜蜜的生活 》LA DOLCE VIT...
- Charlie Hebdo / The Mocking Tradition Behind Charl...
- Astapovo 1910〈孤寂・一九一０〉(楊牧)
- 文雄：台北大稻埕老房子的故事 (中英文對照繪本 )
- 《西游記》(The Journey to the West)
- 西蒙波娃 Old age / The Coming of Age By Simone de Beau...
- How to Maintain Basic Values in a Skeptical WorldC...
- Astérix et Obélix；Matisse:Father & Son
- E-books Go Out of Fashion As Book Sales Revive / A...
- Europe’s Empty Churches Go on Sale；The House of Go...
- Smithsonian 月刊1990年8月號2篇
- 丹納（1828—1893 Hippolyte Adolphe Taine）《藝術哲學》傅雷譯
- 你不知道的台灣古地圖 夏黎明 ( -2015) 等
- online 邀讀者交流；「村上春樹研究センター」、Murakami 村上春樹mania ：《日出...
- Hans Fallada A Stranger in My Own Country: The 19...
- The Americans, by Robert Frank,
- 葉淑貞 著《臺灣農家經濟史之重新詮釋》
- Murty Classical Library Catalogs Indian Literature...
- 風險社會 Risk Society (Riskiogesellschaft),
- 尼克著，[哲學評書 ：講述維特根斯坦、羅素、哥德爾、奎因等哲學家的思想和逸事！]
- Cambodia’s Curse: The Modern History of A Troubled...
- 《苦兒流浪記；無家兒》Sans famille；Nobody's Boy
- 《詩性正義:文學想像與公共生活》Martha Nussbaum's Poetic Justice
- ▼ 一月 (63)
- ► 2014 (455)
- ► 2013 (354)
- ► 2012 (454)
- ► 2011 (904)
- ► 2010 (507)
- ► 2009 (238)
- ► 2008 (202)