《黎烈文全集》15冊 (據說網路上可找到，待查) ，許俊雅主編，香港：作家書局有限公司， 2011
Poil de carotte (Carrot Head) is a long short story or autobiographical novel by Jules Renard published in 1894,
— Jules Renard
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
His journal (1897 to 1910, published in 1925) is a masterpiece of introspection, irony, humor and nostalgia, and also provides an important glimpse into the literary life.
The British writer Somerset Maugham was influenced to publish his own well-known journals by the example of Renard. In the introduction to his own work A Writer's Notebook, Maugham wrote an apt summary of the virtues of Renard's journal: "The journal is wonderfully good reading. It is extremely amusing. It is witty and subtle and often wise... Jules Renard jotted down neat retorts and clever phrases, epigrams, things seen, the sayings of people and the look of them, descriptions of scenery, effects of sunshine and shadow, everything, in short, that could be of use to him when he sat down to write for publication."
- It is not how old you are but how you are old.
- Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to people who have none.
- Culture is what's left after you have forgotten everything.
- I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.
- Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it.
- If money does not make you happy; give it back.
- Writing is the only way to talk without being interrupted.
- If one were to build the house of happiness, the largest space would be the waiting room.
- Dying serves no purpose so die now.
- The horse is the only animal into which one can bang nails.
- We don't understand life any better at forty than at twenty, but we know it and admit it.
- I find when I do not think of myself I do not think at all.
- Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.
- Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
- The only man who is really free is the one who can turn down an invitation to dinner without giving an excuse.
- Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.
- As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to love it more and more.
- I am never bored anywhere; being bored is an insult to oneself.
- If I were to begin life again, I should want it as it was. I would only open my eyes a little more.
- Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.
- Not everybody can be an orphan.