- Hanching Chung 謝謝 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...
Colleen Theisen, a librarian at University of Iowa's Special Collections and Uni...
Posted by Kevin Hartnett September 11, 2013 09:27 AMThe art world was preoccupied last week with a newly discovered van Gogh, but librarians at the University of Iowa Special Collections & University Archives recently had a neat find of their own: delicate landscape paintings hidden just inside the margins of four 19th-century books. The books are a series of volumes on the four seasons by Scottish writer Robert Mudie that were published in 1837. Sometime later, an unidentified artist adorned each book using a technique known as fore-edge painting, in which the book is fanned open using a special press, which allows the artist to create paintings (in this case, landscapes depicting the seasons) that unfold across the margins of the pages. Fore-edge painting has a magical quality because it's so discreet: When a book is closed, you can't tell the painting is there, meaning the paintings can sit on dusty library shelves for decades without being discovered. That's what happened at the University of Iowa, where the fore-edge paintings avoided notice (despite being documented in the library's catalogue) until a student brought them to the attention of librarian Colleen Theisen.
"They're kind of a secret," says Theisen. "They're one of a kind."
You can see GIFs of the four fore-edge paintings below (from the top: winter, spring, summer, fall). You can read more about the University of Iowa's Special Collections and Archives on its excellent Tumblr. The Boston Public Library also has a number of fore-edge paintings in its collection, which you can see here.
Stunning, Tiny Paintings Found On Vintage Books (IMAGES)
Colleen Theisen, a librarian at University of Iowa's Special Collections and University Archives, recently found these awesome fore-edge paintings on a series of books from the 19th century.
The books are a four volume series by Robert Mudie, one volume for each season of the year, and the paintings reflect each of those seasons. The artist of these mini paintings is unknown.
The books were donated to Iowa's collection by Charlotte Smith. Colleen Theisen captured the paintings by photograph and GIF.
All photos courtesy of Iowa's Special Collections and University Archives/Colleen Theisen.
四本書的頁緣分別有相應四季圖畫 fore-edge painting / Stunning, Tiny Paintings Found On Vintage Books
Some Blogs of Hanching Chung
- ► 2017 (445)
- ► 2016 (808)
- ► 2015 (614)
- ► 2014 (439)
- Nikos Kazantzakis 作品簡介
- 未來二百年The next 200 Years: a scenario for America an...
- 台灣映画Taiwan Films 2013/ 川瀨健一: 日本明星在臺灣的活躍表現─池部良、石原裕...
- 紀弦《年方九十》: 紀弦談創作(瘂弦訪問) 杜衡
- (瑞士)馮鐵《在拿波里的胡同裡》2011/Marcel Reich-Ranicki ( 1920 ...
- 余英時的少作: 《文明論衡》《近代文明的新趨勢》《到思維之路》《民主制 度的發展》《民主革命論》、《...
- The Age of Discontinuity; Innovation and Entrepre...
- Contemporary American Poetry Edited by Howard Nem...
- The Oxford Companion to the Bible， 牛津大學出版社OUP及其 Mi...
- 四本書的頁緣分別有相應四季圖畫 fore-edge painting / Stunning, Tin...
- The Art of Slow Reading
- David Landes1924-2013, Robert Fogel ( 1926-2013)...
- 國立臺灣大學刊物 等等 II《國立臺灣大學法律學院院訊》，《中國文學研究》《法鼓山年鑑 2008》...
- Toyo Ito 建築家伊東豊雄 Architectural Iconoclast Wins t...
- Hermann Hesse《堤契諾之歌》《園圃之樂》
- Palladio and Palladianism 帕拉底歐與帕拉底歐風
- Parerga und Paralipomena by Arthur Schopenhauer (...
- ▼ 九月 (22)
- ► 2012 (450)
- ► 2011 (896)
- ► 2010 (503)
- ► 2009 (236)
- ► 2008 (199)