The Cultural Construction of Children's Literature in America
Beverly Lyon Clark
Honor Book for the 2005 Book Award given by the Children's Literature Association
The popularity of the Harry Potter books among adults and the critical acclaim these young adult fantasies have received may seem like a novel literary phenomenon. In the nineteenth century, however, readers considered both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn as works of literature equally for children and adults; only later was the former relegated to the category of "boys' books" while the latter, even as it was canonized, came frequently to be regarded as unsuitable for young readers. Adults—women and men—wept over Little Women. And America's most prestigious literary journals regularly reviewed books written for both children and their parents. This egalitarian approach to children's literature changed with the emergence of literary studies as a scholarly discipline at the turn of the twentieth century. Academics considered children's books an inferior literature and beneath serious consideration.
In Kiddie Lit, Beverly Lyon Clark explores the marginalization of children's literature in America—and its recent possible reintegration—both within the academy and by the mainstream critical establishment. Tracing the reception of works by Mark Twain, Louisa May Alcott, Lewis Carroll, Frances Hodgson Burnett, L. Frank Baum, Walt Disney, and J. K. Rowling, Clark reveals fundamental shifts in the assessment of the literary worth of books beloved by both children and adults, whether written for boys or girls. While uncovering the institutional underpinnings of this transition, Clark also attributes it to changing American attitudes toward childhood itself, a cultural resistance to the intrinsic value of childhood expressed through sentimentality, condescension, and moralizing.
Clark's engaging and enlightening study of the critical disregard for children's books since the end of the nineteenth century—which draws on recent scholarship in gender, cultural, and literary studies— offers provocative new insights into the history of both children's literature and American literature in general, and forcefully argues that the books our children read and love demand greater respect.
Beverly Lyon Clark is the A. Howard Meneely Professor of English at Wheaton College and coeditor (with Margaret Higonnet) of Girls, Boys, Books, Toys: Gender in Children's Literature and Culture, also available from Johns Hopkins.
Some Blogs of Hanching Chung
- ► 2017 (406)
- The Eyes of the Skin By Juhani Pallasmaa《皮膚之眼》
- 文章讀本：谷崎潤一郎 、 三島由紀夫； 賴明珠、黃毓婷
- 名著金句: "Billy Budd, Sailor"
- Adam Bede By George Eliot
- 纐纈 厚《何謂中日戰爭？》戰爭反思
- THE PAINTED VEIL by W. Somerset Maugham 毛姆《彩色面紗》
- "Letters to a Young Poet' (1934) Rainer Maria Rilk...
- America's Favorite Books /F. Scott Fitzgerald， 從美國...
- 《鄧肯自傳》My Life By Isadora Duncan
- 宋怡明（Michael Szonyi） 著《前線島嶼──冷戰下的金門 》
- 伍光健和奚伯緩 《天方夜譚》 THE ARABIAN NIGHTS等 The Thousand Ni...
- 紀弦(1913-2013)：天真直率詩無敵 ——紀弦大詩人千古 （羅青）
- IF ON A WINTER’S NIGHT A TRAVELER by Italo Calvino...
- 值得注意的蘇格蘭出版公司Reaktion Books
- Hemingway wrote down a list of two short stories a...
- 亨德里克．房龍 《人類的故事》等等 Our Battle: Being One Man's Answ...
- How Samuel Johnson Celebrated His Sixty-Eighth Bir...
- Mortals and Others By Bertrand Russell 羅素《羅素短論集》
- 聽艾略特獎得主Sarah Howe談談她的新作《兩制》
- Edward Albee 1928-2016
- Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., 1917-2007
- "The Ambassadors" By Henry James (1903)《奉使記》
- Emily Dickinson Revisited 2016
- 沉思錄 (By Marcus Aurelius,121—180) 梁實秋等人譯
- LITTLE DORRIT by Charles Dickens
- THE SKEPTICAL ROMANCER: Selected Travel Writing by...
- Frans Masereel (1889-1972)；李渝：《賢明時代》；
- 東山 魁夷『唐招提寺への道』
- The Gitanjali泰戈爾【頌歌集】 ....Closed Path Poem by Rabi...
- 曹永洋著《寧毀不銹--馬偕博士的故事》； From Far Formosa (1896)：來自遙遠...
- Kiddie Lit：The Cultural Construction of Children's...
- Norton Lectures by Leonard Bernstein
- The Moving Correspondence of Albert Camus and Bori...
- Carl Maria Weber
- Michel de Montaigne《隨筆》；《與蒙田共度的夏天》 Un été avec Mon...
- Aristotle’s “Nicomachean Ethics”...The Art of Frie...
- SONS AND LOVERS by D.H. Lawrence；The Vicar’s Gard...
- 蔣勳：駐村、一首詩、 捨得才見風景 《祕密假期》《大度．山 》《來日方長》
- François Mauriac 弗朗索瓦·莫里亞克
- The Secret History of the British Garden By "Mont...
- The Gardener's Garden；花園：談人之為人 Gardens: An Essay ...
- A Sportsman's Sketches
- Décor Inspiration from Surrealist Jean Cocteau:Jea...
- "Knowledge will Facilitate Work." A Christmas Car...
- The OWC Podcast: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Auste...
- Yes Prime Manipulator:Yes Minister...Yes, Prime Mi...
- ▼ 九月 (54)
- ► 2015 (616)
- ► 2014 (442)
- ► 2013 (349)
- ► 2012 (451)
- ► 2011 (898)
- ► 2010 (504)
- ► 2009 (236)
- ► 2008 (199)