2018年7月29日 星期日

Wuthering Heights


“You said I killed you — haunt me, then!”
An excerpt of 'Wuthering Heights' from our OWC archive. #Bronte200


Emily Brontë died in Haworth, Yorkshire, England on this day in 1848 (aged 30).
"I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy."
―Catherine Earnshaw from WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1847)




Everyman's Library


"It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and [Edgar’s] is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire."

―Catherine from WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Brontë


The title of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors of the story. The narrative centres on the all-encompassing, passionate, but ultimately doomed love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and the people around them. Virginia Woolf said of Emily Brontë that her writing could "make the wind blow and the thunder roar," and so it does in Wuthering Heights. Catherine Earnshaw, Heathcliff, and the windswept moors that are the setting of their mythic love are as immediately stirring to the reader of today as they have been for every generation of readers since the novel was first published in 1847. With an introduction by Katherine Frank. READ an excerpt here: http://knopfdoubleday.com/…/wuthering-heights/9780679405436/



沒有留言:

網誌存檔